Clickable dictation at various speeds is available at the bottom of this page. The transcript of the dictation appears here as well.
When taking dictation, I never liked enumerated lists like we have below. They were always a pain for some reason but they are a fact of life. Luckily, this list is short so make the best of it!.
Speed Building Simplified, One-Year Course, The Gregg Publishing Company, 1951, p 94-95 and 96-97
Six Promises of a Good Citizen
Here are some of the tools of good citizenship. Pledge yourself here and now to these six points—that you, your children, and your children’s children may continue to enjoy the American heritage of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
1. I will vote at all elections. I will inform myself on candidates and issues and will use my greatest influence to see that honest and capable officials are elected. I will accept public office when I can serve my community or my country thereby.
2. I will serve on a jury when asked.
3. I will respect and obey the laws. I will assist public officials in preventing crime and the courts in giving evidence.
4. I will pay my taxes understandingly.
5. I will work for peace but will dutifully accept my responsibilities in time of war.
6. I will support our system of free public education by doing everything I can to improve the schools in my community.
Dear Mr. Brown: There are perhaps five million automobiles in the United States that are being currently financed “on time.” Every business day of the year, thousands of car owners are completing their payments and getting out of debt.
If you are such an owner, approaching your last payment, here is something to remember: fire, theft, and collision insurance was probably a part of your purchase contract and may expire the minute you have completed your payments. From that point on, unless you have provided for continued insurance in advance, you have no protection and run the risk of getting into financial difficulty from an uninsured loss.
You are also in danger at all times unless you have adequate liability coverage. Damage suits for injuries run into large figures these days. Play safe; consult one of our agents today. He will make sure that your most important risks are insured and that your coverage is high enough to take care of today’s values. Cordially yours,
Instructions for Self-Dictation Practice:
Copy and paste the above article into a word-processing document, using double or triple spacing and 12- or 14-pitch type.
As always, be sure to check your shorthand dictionary for correct outlines before "drilling"!
Note that the material was counted and recorded for dictation at 100; all other speeds were copied from the 100 take and electronically adjusted and may therefore sound unusual.
The dictation material above is copyrighted, all rights reserved.